Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 6, 2013 Wow! This Week Was Fast!

                                                                                   


Sister Salado, Sister Fuentes, Sister Makihele, and me
Julie Rodriguez, Camille Candelaria, Jenny Fajardo, and me!  I love these girls!  They always call me Sister Barbie (but that's not why I love them....)
This is the Dinalupian Zone (my zone)


Dear Family,

I can't believe that it is P-day already.  I am starting to see what all the RM's mean when they say that the time flies out on the mission.  It still feels like I have a long time to go, but then I see how fast the weeks are going and i realize that it will go really fast.

So this week was pretty good.  The highlight of the week was that we had exchanges this week and I was with Sister Makihele who has been out for only 3 weeks.  So that meant I was responsible for keeping the lessons going and understanding what they were saying to us.  I definitely had some moments where I didn't know what they were saying but I had a lot more moments where I did understand them.  I had my first lesson that I felt like I understood everything she was saying, which I know was a blessing from the Lord.

Our teaching together wasn't too bad either.  It was very basic, but I feel like we were able to teach the basic fundamentals of each lesson which is more important than being eloquent in your teaching.  I've really learned in the last few weeks that it is more important to teach very simply and really listen to what the investigator is saying.  Because really the gospel is very simple and plain to understand.  So that's how we need to teach it.  So my exchange experience gave me the reassurance that if my next companion is a foreigner, we can make it through our lessons.  (Transfer day is on oct 23 and i feel like I am going to be transferred.  But that's just my feeling)  The only bad part about the exchange was that I forgot to wear my name tag.  yep.  I couldn't believe it when I discovered it during our second lesson.  That is the first time that has happened because I usually put it on first thing after I get dressed.  But let's just say that I am even more careful now!  Good thing we were close to our apartment and could run back quick and grab it.

our housemates....cockroaches!
Interesting cultural notes for the week:  The jeepeneys don't turn off when they fill up for gas.  They just stop and get a gallon or two and then keep going because they are losing money if they stay there and wait for the gas.  So far nothing has blown up even though the jeeps are running.  Also, we were walking to one of our appointments and saw some people cooking dog.  They had the dog hung up by his legs and were burning the hair of with a torch.  It smelled TERRIBLE.  I'm really glad we don't cook dog in America.

This week we had a really inspiring zone meeting about how important planning is and how important smart planning is.  I always get so motivated during the district/zone meetings each week.  The trouble is keeping that excitement and actually applying everything.  Sometimes I feel like we don't have enough time to do everything we should to be an effective missionary.  But I know that as long as I am working hard and being diligent, the Lord will make up the difference what i can't accomplish.

The last couple weeks none of our investigators have been coming to church.  They've been reading the Book of Mormon and listening to our message, but they don't come to church.  I never realized how truly important church attendance is because we always just went to church.  But the investigators that attended church received a confirmation about the truth of our church and the Book of Mormon and the ones that didn't attended church feel like they don't have an answer.  There really is a special spirit in the church and it can be the difference in the conversions process.

We also had a less active family come to church for the first time in months.  We went and visited them later that night and asked them how it was.  They said that they felt like their day was complete.  And they were so happy while they were talking to us too.  We really focused on teaching them about the temple and eternal families yesterday because they only got married last year and have a little baby.  We could see that they really want that, especially for their little girl so I have a feeling that they will return to activity.  It just makes you feel so good when people realize the blessings of the commandments that God gives to us and that they aren't doing their commitments because they feel like the missionaries assigned it to them and they'll get in trouble if they don't do it.

Well, that's all for this week.  I love you all and hope that you have a great week!  i know this is the one and only true church!
Mahal kita!
Sister Sirrine

No comments:

Post a Comment