Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 20, 2014 Hospital Days




Me at the hospital trying to get warm.  Sis Ah Hong wanted the aircon on.  So I wrapped up in sheets and stood by the sunny window to warm up


Me and Sis Ah Hong



Hello my family!

Well, this week was crazy and ended up with me spending two days in a Filipino hospital.  Don't worry, I wasn't the one that was sick.  It all started on Tuesday when one of the sisters in our house, Sis Ah Hong, ate lunch and immediately threw it up.  Then on Wednesday, she threw up again when she ate lunch.  Then on Thursday. Then on Friday.  She doesn't eat breakfast and we don't eat dinner at night.  So I started figuring things out in my head and realized that she hadn't really eaten anything since Monday.  Sis Ah Hong didn't want to call the mission president's wife, so I did.  We called the mission doctor and got her some medicine.  But Friday night when I got home to give her the medicine, she threw that up.  By this time she was even throwing up water.  So I was texting the mission president's wife, and she sent the missionary couples over at 11 pm on Friday night to our apartment and we decided to take her to the hospital in Subic (about 1 hour away).  Sis Ah Hong's companion is a brand new missionary who has been a little homesick so I thought that it would not be a good idea to send her to the hospital and just have her sit there.  The best medicine for homesickness is to go out and WORK!  (Remember that... all of you who are preparing to go on missions!) We decided that I would be the one to go with her.

We got to the hospital around 12:30 am and she was rushed into the emergency room and put on IV's.  You should have seen her face when she realized she was going to have an IV put into her!  I felt bad.  So that began a very long night of very little sleep.  I thought that I would have a hard time knowing what they were saying in Tagalog in a hospital setting, but I understood everything.  Kind of cool.  They found out that she had a gallbladder infection and a kidney infection so that's why she was throwing up.  Now, it's bad to be stuck in the hospital whoever you are, but I'm going to tell that it is way worse if you are a missionary.  You can't watch TV.  You can't leave the room to go on a walk because you can't leave your companion.  And all we originally brought with us was our copies of the Book of Mormon. We spent Saturday and Sunday quietly reading the Book of Mormon.  The mission President's wife brought us some more reading material eventually and then on Sunday night she brought a portable DVD player and some church movies.  That was awesome.  By this morning, we were SO ready to get out of the hospital and the best sight was seeing the two senior couple missionaries come break us out of our prison.  Anyway, that's my trying to make my weekend more exciting than it was.  The good thing was, our mission president requested a ocean view room and we got it! (haha! The hospital is right on the bay in Subic)
view from the hospital

Waiting to be set free...
While I was in there, I did get some good study in.  Kind of.  I read a great article in the Liahona about Priesthood and women.  It said, "Men and women are equal in the eyes of God but not the same." We have different talents and strengths and so of course we have different responsibilities.  And one responsibility isn't more important than the other.  There was an answer to a question that has been hard for me to answer my whole life.  "Why are only men priesthood holders?" Gordon B Hinckley said, "Because that's how God organized His church." that simple.  We don't know the reason and it isn't important.  We just need to be content that that is the way His church needs to be set up.  So that was neat.
My "queen" sized bed in our luxurious 5 star hotel for 3 nights

I honestly can't remember anything from this week of work.  I feel like being in the hospital for the last few days has fried my brain and we literally got free and came straight to email.  But I think that it was a really great week.  Kind of weird to miss church on your mission, but can't do anything about that.  I love you all!  Hope you all are planning on having FHE tomorrow night!

Mahal ko kayo!
Sister Sirrine

No comments:

Post a Comment